Menu
206.992.5746
Cart 0 items: $0.00

Close

Qty Item Description Price Total
  Subtotal $0.00

View Cart

 

2013 En Hommage

2013 En Hommage
Sold Out
Add To Cart
$28.00
 
Sold Out

100% Syrah
Olsen Estates, Elephant Mountain Vineyard
263 Cases Produced

En Hommage opens with aromas and flavors of blueberries, violets, black currants and plum.  Additional nuances of black pepper, minerality and spice complement the driving blue fruit flavors with refined tannins that wrap around a smooth, refined and delicate core.  This wine pairs nicely with grilled pork tenderloin, lamb chops, and hearty Italian dishes.

Vintage Scores:

2013: 91 points (Robert Parker); 90 points (Wine Enthusiast)
2012: 94 points (Wine Enthusiast); 90 points (Robert Parker)
2011: 93 points (Wine Enthusiast); 91 points (Tanzer)

Wine Specs
Vintage
2013
Appellation
Yakima Valley
Vineyard Designation
Olsen Estates, Elephant Mountain Vineyard
Alcohol %
14.6
Wine Enthusiast
90
Robert Parker
91
Wine Profile
Vineyard Notes
Olsen Estates and Elephant Mountain Vineyard provide the Syrah for En Hommage. From Olsen Estates, we source Block 14 Joseph Phelps clone Syrah which was planted in 2002. From Elephant Mountain, we sourced two clones of Syrah – Joseph Phelps, planted in 2002 and Tablas Creek, planted in 2005.
Production Notes
At harvest, 90% of the Syrah grapes were gently de-stemmed and delivered as whole berries in various small lot bins for fermentation. The remaining 10% was fermented whole cluster. For 3-5 days, a traditional cold soak ensued allowing flavor and color to integrate in the must before the presence of an alcoholic fermentation. Following this cold soak, inoculation occurred with select yeasts originating from the Rhone Valley and manual punch downs occurred 3-4 times a day. Following the completion of fermentation, the wine was then gently pressed off its skins and placed in French oak barrels (20% new) for 10 months. The final blend was composed in May 2014, allowing the wine to integrate in barrel for 3 months prior to bottling in August 2014.
Winemaker Notes
2013 was a hot year for Washington State following the average 2012 and cool 2011 vintage. From spring to fall, our growing season ran 7-10 days ahead of a normal year and provided warm days and nights. The warmer temperatures required careful harvest decisions to ensure that the grapes did not become overripe.